Monday, March 3, 2008

Soo Kee @ Sea Park

I've been getting stomach problems lately which can be attributed to my late nights, supper and spicy food. Well, I've decided to go on a diet of non-oily food and alcohol free week and what better way to start it with Soo Kee. Their specialty here is Ipoh Hor Fun.
I have been coming to this restaurant since I was 7 years old. I do not really know when this restaurant first open, but the business was run by the patriarch of the family for as long as I can remember. Now he is no longer with us and the restaurant is run by his wife, her two almost identical sisters and her son.









No frills interior

I am not a big fan of grandiose Chinese restaurants. To me, there are only 3 winning formulas to good chinese food :
1. Operating from dilapidated old shacks, stalls or shop houses (cockroaches optional)
2. The cook must be sweating balls while cooking ! (some say it enchances the taste)
3. Screaming contest between cook and staff (you know you're in for a treat if you also
get scolded)




A simple dish... beansprouts topped with spring onions, fried garlic and sprinkled with white pepper.




Kon Lou Hor Fun

I didn't want to risk having more stomach problems so I opted for the dry hor fun.
Hor fun is a typical Chinese rice noodle which originated from the town of Shahe in Guangzhou.
The hor fun here is served fresh with slices of prawns and their secret soy sauce.




The reason people come to Soo Kee


This is the piece d' resistance. The main reason people flock to Soo Kee.
Chicken as smooth as babies bottom lathered in home made oyster sauce.
You're probably going..'Uuuh, that's it ? What's the big deal ?'
The big deal is the simplicity of its presentation and the complexity of its taste. This is the epitome of good street food.
The chicken blends so well with the hor fun. Typically, I would order the wet hor fun and let the chicken soak in its soup but this is really good too.



I have been coming here for so many years and I do not plan on stopping. I really enjoy good food minus the formality of fine dining and I sure do hope restaurants like these last for a few more generations.



Soo Kee Restaurant
33, Jalan 21/17, Sea Park
Petaling Jaya
( it's located opposite Sea Park wet market along the same row as Ayam Mas )

Tel No : 03-78767736

operating hours : 8.30am -2.30pm





2 comments:

  1. possible to leave a map?!
    or at least a shot of the shop from the outside and its area?
    pics look good, but how to find?! address is just not good enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. Will certainly do that for my next posts. Cheers

    ReplyDelete