Monday, March 31, 2008

Daidomon @ Great Eastern Mall

I found this gem of a restaurant while surfing the net one day. Daidomon specializes in washoku ( traditional style Japanese food ) and yakiniku ( grilled meat ). They are located on the third floor of Great Eastern Mall along Jalan Ampang.





Daidomon has a very nice and chilled out ambience and I especially liked the red lanterns which gave the restaurant a warm glow. The seating arrangement is very well thought out too as each table have their own privacy.



Sushi bar and beverage bar






As you can see, Daidomon takes their sake and shoju pretty seriously, even the walls and pillars are decorated with bottles of sake. They have an extensive selection of sake and shoju and the price ranges from $50 to $500 for premium grade.. They even have shoju made of buckwheat. Since it was lunch, I skipped the alcoholic drinks but I am definately coming back for their sake !


Garlic sauce for the meat and soy sauce for wasabi

Me and my mates decided to go for their buffet at $68 per person. I usually do not have buffet lunches but I was hungry since I skipped dinner the night before and also because the waitstaff will take your order from the buffet menu and bring the food to you. Awesome ! No queuing up behind fatass aunties loading up their Mt.Everest sized plates.




First thing on the menu is of course...sashimi. The salmon and tuna tasted fresh, not the best but definately better than some of the other buffets out there.




The unagi sushi is delicious. The sauce was not overly sweet and the unagi didn't have any bones in them.



Yukke Sashi

Marinated raw beef with egg yolk. It tasted much better than it sounds. I couldn't taste the rawness of the beef after being soaked in the sweet sauce and egg yolk. It has the consistency of a big wad of phlegm.



Gyu Tataki

Marinated and lightly grilled raw beef. I prefer this dish with loads of raw garlic, here they give you a seperate dipping sauce with garlic instead. The meat was fresh and tasted..well...like how you would imagine raw beef to taste.



Reba Sashi

I've always wanted to try raw liver but could never find it. After noticing it on the menu, I decided I have got to try this dish ! I didn't know what I was expecting but it tasted exactly how I imagined it to taste. I do not like the taste of cooked liver but this was something else. The only thing I didn't like about this dish was the consistency of the liver. I was trying my best not to spit it out while chewing on it but once I swallowed it, it tasted quite nice, especially if its dipped in the sesame sauce.




A refreshing change after all the raw meat. I feel my stomach rumbling, I hope it's not the liver working its magic.



Oysters meant for the grill



Karubi and Harami

This was also meant for the grill. Karubi are short ribs served without bones and Harami, the tender meat around the diaphragm.



Shika Niku ( Venison )



Mino ( Mountain Chain Ox-Tripe )


Tan - Ox Tongue




Oh yeah, did I mention the table comes equipped with our own personal bbq grill ? Daidomon serves a wide variety of meat for bbq including seafood. The meat is much better than I expected for a buffet. Good quality and generous cuts. The ox-tripe was deliciously crunchy.. just make sure you leave it on the grill until it turns white with slightly charred sides. The aluminium tray is used for cooking the venison meat.




The ox-tongue was super yummy ! The tray is used for cooking the oysters.




The tempura was a disappointment. The batter was bland and it wasn't crunchy. At least the prawns were fresh.



Karubi Soup

Spicy beef with vegetables and egg soup. Tasted exactly like the soup that comes with Korean instant ramen. The beef was flaky, probably been simmering in the soup for awhile.



More meat...



Salad



Tori Nankotsu ( Soft chicken bone )

Unlike what the name said, the bones aren't soft at all ! It was too salty and not crunchy enough. I'm definately getting constipation from this dish of bones.



Green tea ice-cream






After two hours of non-stop eating, there are still many items on the menu which we didn't get to try. I am definately coming back here to try the rest and also their ala-carte menu.
Daidomon prides itself as the only restaurant in Malaysia to serve the highest grade of wagyu beef. I'm definately coming back for that too, and their sake hehe.



Daidomon Restaurant
Lot 4, Level 3, Great Eastern Mall
No.303, Jalan Ampang
50450 Kuala Lumpur

Tel No : 03-42528155



http://www.daidomon.com.my










































































6 comments:

  1. well i was there yesterday with my girlfriend to try it out as they were having 50% discount. we were quite disappointed as the tempura prawns were no where to be found, and not found too was 3 nice juicy prawns dish which were only available for ala-carte but the picture was included in the buffet advertisement. when i ask about the tempura prawns the lady in the reception counter was quite rude, she said it was there and finished. as we were one of the first customer to reach there she said that we didn't see it. verdict for me is not going there again

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i was there yesterday with my girlfriend to try it out as they were having 50% discount. we were quite disappointed as the tempura prawns were no where to be found, and not found too was 3 nice juicy prawns dish which were only available for ala-carte but the picture was included in the buffet advertisement. when i ask about the tempura prawns the lady in the reception counter was quite rude, she said it was there and finished. as we were one of the first customer to reach there she said that we didn't see it. verdict for me is not going there again

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice~ it's like japanese-korean fusion restaurant...

    ReplyDelete